Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Knowledge

Albert Einstein once said "The only source of knowledge is experience". This quote stuck to me, not only did Albert Einstein say it but my grandmother as well. When I first heard this, it really gave a new look onto things. As a teenager, I immediately thought drugs. I thought, "I learn about drugs and the consequences of taking them in health but I will really not know until I try". While thinking that, I still did not take any drugs. Why try something that I KNOW will have a bad income. On the other hand, I wanted to see how it would feel to get drunk so I did. It was the worst experience of my life. I got into trouble, I could not remember anything, I was not in control of my own body. I do not regret the experience because I now know what my limit is and the taste of alcohol is disgusting. Lastly, I am a teenager, what am I doing drinking alcohol? I would have never known any of this because and probably kept on drinking a little bit, damaging my body. This opened my eyes and made me take into consideration on others around me, because they were all affected in one or another that same night as well. Now taking that quote into something more legal, it made me want to go and try out sports I never played before. I did not want to ever say to myself, "I wish I would have done that". Also without taking the chance I would never know if my body could handle it or if I would end up liking it. I believe what Einstein is trying to say is you can read all you want to about things but unless you give it a chance you will never fully know, you will not know how it make you feel, what you can learn from it, or that giving it try can lead to bigger and better things. And it is okay to make mistakes, that is life. In the end, we learn from our mistakes, and if we do not, they will keep coming back until we do. In Albert Einstein's case, as a scientist, they have to test theories in order for them to know if they work. They will never know unless they try because it will remain a theory, something not proved, and nothing more. Scientist learn based on numerous test with fails and achievements. At the end of the day, they have gained more information on the theory than they did before which can lead them closer to their main goal. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Dominique, I love how you gave examples from your real life experiences, also making me laugh when I read your "alcohol" encounter. I totally agree with you that true knowledge is only obtained through experience, and it will be regretful if we just stand and watch from the sidelines. I like how I was able to read your explantions with a smooth flow. I can also relate to this quote, if I never had the courage to experience what I truly love now, I would be missing a big part in my life. Actually, you made this quote stick to me too! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dominique![:
    Your quote and your experience are very inspiring! In order to try new things we need to experience it first. we only live once.
    and your experience is something similar to mine.I would say the majority of teens have tried alcohol or some other type of drugs.i really like your quote and your experience.great job! Dominique![:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dominique! I completely agree with you're quote. Life is a learning experience! the only way you can learn something is by doing it. This reminds me of that saying practice makes perfection. Many of us don't get anything from just watching, doing is more affective. Overall I enjoyed reading you're essay. I could relate to many of you're thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the example you used. Life is a learning experience whether its trying alcohol for the first time or its trying out for a baseball team even walking across the street is an experience its really based on however you take it. Great job Dominique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dominique! This post was amazingly great and I agree 100% with you. Life is all about making choices and taking risk. If wer never try to do something then how would wer know if we liked it or not. No one wants to live with the thought in thier mind that if only I got the courage and tried it . Great post dominique and keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete